Thursday, September 5, 2013

Trains and planes, my first flight.



This trip to Madikwe was special by the fact that I was being flown there by Federal Airlines.

The trip started off on the Gautrain…my current favourite form of airport transport.
This deposited me at ORT International airport where I found the Federal Air Kiosk located in the bus terminus just past the rental car agencies.
Although the map that  was mailed to me was specific,
some signage at the airport would have been appreciated.

My luggage was weighed (The allowance is 25kg instead of the usual 20,what a pleasure!) and very soon transport arrived to take me to their departure lounge which is a short drive away.
While in the vehicle I struck up a conversation with an Irish couple and it turned out we had both visited the same game lodge!
I suppose that is a positive about flying on a charter flight…
you actually get to interact with fellow passengers.

Having never been privileged to fly on a charter flight before, I was taken aback by the fact that all the drinks and snacks were free!
And not just biscuits…proper sandwiches!
The lounge and the adjacent outdoor area are well maintained and very comfortable, but luckily the wait was not too long.

The pre-flight briefing

The flight, in a Caravelle, was not as bumpy as I had feared it might be and it was great to be able to view the landscape as well as a large herd of Giraffe as we descended for the landing.
The outward-bound leg would take me to the Eastern airstrip at Madikwe where I was met by a ranger (Kaizer) from Thakadu River camp for the journey to the lodge.

This particular airstrip has recently been tarred and there are buildings going up which I imagine will be used for arriving and departing guests.

Kaizer, my ranger, was very patient as I did some images of the plane as it took off

…and then returned so that I could get a shot of a landing!

Thakadu was my first stop...in the East


Tuningi, in the West.
Which meant that the return flight would be from the (gravel) Western airstrip.

My stay at both camps were very special and I was sad to say goodbye.

This is the domestic departure lounge at the Western airstrip…

which turned out to be a big tree that have a lot of Elephant graffiti on it!

Our return flight was in this four-seater plane 
and I was allowed to sit up front in the co-pilot’s seat! 


Wearing the head-set and listening to the conversations between air traffic control and the various aircraft was fascinating…and just as busy as the chatter on the radios in the game drive vehicles!

My thanks to the pilots, ground staff and Federal Air for making this trip possible…

And the lions for leaving the runway!

All of this made the hour long flight go by really quickly
and before I knew it were on final approach to ORT.



www.davidbatzofin.com

All images are the copyright property of  and may not be used without permission
Follow me on Twitter: @davidbatzofin




1 comment:

  1. Too see a lion's natural habitat is both enthralling and priceless! I admit that I'm a bit jealous with your little adventure. Hehe! How was the chartered flight, David? Aside from the size of the aircraft and the number of passengers, chartered flights offer services just like private airlines do. If ever you go on an adventure again, I hope you consider taking chartered flights for less hassle.

    Corina Ogan @ IA Charter

    ReplyDelete